Monday, April 02, 2007

Entry #15: CA Boom Design Show, la-la LOVE!

All access passes to the CA Boom 4, West Coast Independent Design Show in Santa Monica, CA were granted to yours truly by her awesome brother and eco-friendly floor manufacturer gal. Here's a run down on some amazing stuff.

Pre-fab homes:
Pre-fab homes have been around for decades, particularly in the environmental design classroom so it's a bit surprising that there aren't that many in the nation today.

The OA-SYS (Open Architecture System) was first introduced to me in 2003, while leafing through my brother's design studio book. This system is a collaboration between the Austrian Architect Oskar Leo Kauffman and the modern timber construction company Berlinger Holzbau, based in Vorarlberg, Austria. I expected prefab homes to pop up everywhere, but I forgot to look, and I realized I forgot to look because they don't really exist in the numbers I expected (and was hoping). Fortunately, green friendly homes are getting attention, as seen in Sunday's NY Time article, Factory Fresh: Interstately Homes.

The following companies were at CA Boom's Prefab Zone, which made its debut at last year's CA Boom.
1.) Alchemy Architect: "Alchemy Architect's mission is to make stimulating, engaging, and efficient design accessible and affordable for a wide audience."
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

2.) CleverHomes: They have good stuff, but I don't want to go to the trouble of converting their flash images to jpgs. I actually like them less because of their excessive use of flash. Hmmm.. it's about the total package. Anyways, I think they are on view at the Pacific Design Center.

3.) H-HAUS: "H-Haus models are the ultimate showcase of intelligent home design for the 21st century. The architectirally modern home designs from H-Haus, LLC is introducing elegant living paired with eco-friendly designs designs adopted from European housing standards to the American Market.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

4.) Hive Modular: "Attainable modern modular home sales and design."
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

5.) Kithaus: "KitHaus is about modularity. True modularity. The kind destined to revolutionize the conventional rules of prefab." (note: TRULY amazing. Check out their website for more pictures.)
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

6.) LivingHomes: "LivingHomes creates homes by world-class architects, which feature war, modern designs, functional amenities, and great price value." (Note: Check out the website... slightly TOO grandiose for me)

There were actually ten total Prefab homes, but I think the above gives a great idea of what is in the future. Prefab homes have not "made it" yet. I think it "made it" if something crazy like IKEA sells em happens (O PLEeeeeASE, for the love of the environment!)

I would have to spend another entire blog section on the AWESOME furniture at CA Boom 4! I just have to say that I am absolutely thrilled that there are so many eco-friendly products that combine high style and I am hoping that eco-friendly will lose its hippie status soon.

No comments: